Access University Resources

Staff in the following offices work within the Yale community to promote respect, inclusivity, diversity, and equal opportunity, and are available to talk through situations you have witnessed or experienced, as well as provide guidance. When you have concerns or questions, you have a wide range of choices for support. You can reach out to a Discrimination and Harassment Resource Coordinator or can talk with others, such as a residential college dean, dean of student affairs, or the Office of Institutional Equity and Accessibility

If you’d like to talk with someone about sex- or gender- based discrimination including sexual misconduct, you can reach out directly to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Office website is also a helpful resource for additional questions or concerns about sex- or gender- based discrimination. 

When consulted in their professional capacities, SHARE counselors, healthcare providers, and chaplains will not reveal any information you share without your explicit permission except in circumstances where there is an ongoing threat to your or another person’s health and safety. 

Discrimination and Harassment Resource Coordinators

Discrimination and Harassment Resource Coordinators (formerly Deans’ Designees) have been identified by the dean of each college and school as community members with the responsibility to receive concerns and offer advice and guidance related to diversity and inclusion, discrimination and harassment, and equal opportunity. Discrimination and Harassment Resource Coordinators may also help facilitate informal resolution. This may be an individual’s best “first stop” in discussing a concern related to discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, particularly as Discrimination and Harassment Resource Coordinators will be knowledgeable about resources specific to their school or college. 

Office of Institutional Equity and Accessibility (OIEA)

Any individual who would like to report a concern of discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation may contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Accessibility (OIEA). OIEA staff are available to discuss concerns, University resources, and options for resolution, including informal resolution. Where appropriate, OIEA staff are also available to conduct investigations into complaints of discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation committed by faculty or staff members. Talking with someone at OIEA about a concern or making a complaint does not automatically launch an investigation. It can, however, be an important step to alerting the University about a concern and getting assistance to resolve it. 

SHARE Center

SHARE Center staff are trained mental health professionals who can help students and other members of the Yale community deal with concerns related to sexual misconduct. SHARE Center staff can talk with you over the phone or in person at any time of day or night. Consultations are confidential and can also be made anonymously if you wish. SHARE Center counselors can help you process your experiences, navigate options for filing complaints or charges, and ensure that you receive care and support.

Contact SHARE Center staff.
Learn more about the SHARE Center’s services.

University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct

The University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct is the internal disciplinary board which addresses allegations of sexual misconduct of every kind. It is available to students, faculty and staff, as described in the UWC procedures. The committee consists of approximately forty students, faculty, and administrative members drawn from throughout the university.

Deputy Title IX Coordinators

Deputy Title IX Coordinators are identified as individuals who are available to consult with members of the community about their concerns and questions related to sex- or gender-based discrimination including sexual misconduct. By disclosing a concern to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator, they can help you review options, identify and implement supportive measures, and connect you with other campus resources.

Chaplain's Office

Chaplains at the Yale University Chaplain’s Office are a resource for undergraduate, graduate and professional students regardless of religious or spiritual denomination. Chaplains are available to support you in all aspects of your life. There is always a Chaplain available to talk with about impactful life events and concerns, including those about discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct.

Contact a member of the Chaplain’s Office staff.
Learn more about the Chaplain’s office.

Office for Graduate Student Development and Diversity

OGSDD staff and fellows build a supportive community for graduate students from underrepresented backgrounds. In addition to helping you with your academic pursuits, the OGSDD director and fellows can meet with you to address any concern you might have about life at Yale. The Director often meets with students individually to listen and help address concerns. Diversity Fellows serve as peer advisors for students to help them navigate any challenges they experience as well as answer questions and direct them to additional resources.

Contact a Graduate Student Development and Diversity director or fellow.
Learn more about the OGSDD.

Office of LGBTQ Resources

Staff in the Office of LGBTQ Resources support the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer, questioning, and allied community at Yale through a variety of programs and services. Staff in the office are available for one-on-one meetings to discuss ideas, concerns, or any aspect of life at Yale, including discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct. Contact the office for an appointment or drop by during scheduled office hours.

Contact a staff member of the Office of LGBTQ Resources.
Learn more about the Office of LGBTQ Resources.

Yale Cultural Centers

The Cultural Centers at Yale foster a sense of cultural identity and educate people in the larger community. They also act as optional social centers and community bases for students of a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, supplementing the social environment of the larger, pluralistic Yale College community. The cultural centers provide access to resources that may help navigate the wealth of support programming and initiatives Yale has to offer. These resources include the Intercultural Affairs Council and Peer Liaisons.

Afro-American Cultural Center (Af-Am)

Contact Timeica E. Bethel-Macaire, Director.
Learn more about the Afro-American Cultural Center.

Asian American Cultural Center (AACC)

Contact Joliana Yee, Director.
Learn more about the Asian American Cultural Center.

La Casa Cultural, Latino Cultural Center

Contact Eileen Galvez, Director.
Learn more about La Casa Cultural.

Native American Cultural Center (NACC)

Contact Matthew Makomenaw, Director.
Learn more about the Native American Cultural Center.

Yale Police Department (YPD)

The Yale Police Department works closely with Yale staff and administrators to support students who have been victims of crime or sexual misconduct. The Department works closely with other resources at Yale, including the SHARE Center, Title IX Coordinators, and the University-wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct. The Yale Police Investigative Unit is available around the clock, and officers are available to help you via phone or walk-in confidential consultations. The YPD has a Sergeant in charge of sensitive crimes and can provide assistance and information on available victims’ assistance services. The YPD also has the capacity to perform full criminal investigations.

The YPD takes very seriously its obligation to investigate all allegations of police misconduct and will take appropriate action when warranted. The process for reporting any complaint against any member of the department is simple and straightforward. Community members should contact Yale Police (203-432-4400and request to see a supervisory officer. A supervisor will respond and take the initial complaint, which most often can be resolved expeditiously at that level. Should any complaint require additional investigation, the matter will be referred to the Office of the Chief, which will assign the matter for investigation.

If you feel threatened or unsafe, call the Yale Police or 911 (for emergencies) immediately. 

Contact the YPD.
Learn about the YPD.
Learn about the Victim Services Unit.
Learn about the Investigative Victim Services Unit.